Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Care and Feeding of a PhD Student

My name is Deana Mascle.

I grew up in Williamson, New York, and now live in Mt. Sterling, Kentucky. I am married and have a 7-year-old son. I am active in the First Presbyterian Church of Mt. Sterling (I serve on the session, am a youth leader, teach Sunday School, and sing in the choir).

For as long as I can remember I have always loved writing and words. I can't actually remember a time when I wasn't writing. I am a voracious reader and possess an avid curiosity.

All these things were a great help to me in my first career as a reporter and editor for both newspapers and magazines.

If writing is my first love then teaching follows as a close second. When I completed my Master's in Secondary Education/English I truly was torn. I loved teaching high school but hated the school system organization and missed writing. I was able to fulfill my need to teach by teaching G.E.D. for years both in New York and Kentucky but it wasn't until I returned to school and earned my MA in English from Eastern Kentucky University that I truly realized I had found my niche in life. I could teach writing. I cannot imagine more fun than spending my days filled with writing, talking about writing with other writers, helping other writers find their way, and learning more about writing and the teaching of writing.

I am still able to fulfill my writing urge by working as a freelance writer. I have now transitioned from working for magazines and print publications to writing entirely for my own online publications from Squidoo to web sites to articles.

After teaching at EKU for a while, I have settled in at Morehead State University where I teach mostly Writing I and II but have also taught sections of creative writing and technical composition. I will start a new gig as the Site Director for the Morehead Writing Project this summer. I started our online general education writing classes which has given me tremendous flexibility for my schedule.

It became increasingly clear to me that to reach my professional goals I would need to pursue a PhD however my program options were limited due to the fact my job and family rooted me in Kentucky. However the Texas Tech Online PhD Program in Technical Communication and Rhetoric seemed a good fit.

Now that I am one semester in I can truly say this was a great choice. I am impressed with the faculty as well as the level of the students in the program. I am confirmed in my choice many times over.

And now we are into the May Seminar...

No comments: